Parenting The Theraplay® Way:
Attachment-Based Parenting for your Adopted/Foster Child
Thursday & Friday, May 10 & 11, 2012 (both days required)
10:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sunny Ridge Family Center
270 Remington Blvd.
Bolingbrook, IL 60440
Workshop fee: $95 per person or $150 for two people
Light refreshments will be provided; one hour lunch - brown bag or on your own.
Sunny Ridge is pleased to welcome The Theraplay Institute, an organization that has been helping parents build better relationships with their children for over 40 years. They understand that adopted and foster children often need a different kind of parenting, and that these parenting skills may not just come naturally to even the best parent. Their experts understand the neurological and developmental issues that might be challenging your child, and they will give you specific ideas and techniques to help you bring joy, fun, and laughter back home to your family.
The Theraplay Institute will share what you need to know about attachment and trauma, and how parenting "The Theraplay Way" will address your child’s challenges. You will see the activities being used with other families, and you will practice some of them to give you confidence to try them at home. This program is also appropriate for pre-adoptive parents as well as for extended family members such as grandparents, and aunts and uncles.
The workshop will address such issues as:
- How to help your child feel more comfortable accepting your guidance and leadership.
- How to nip negative behaviors in the bud without being punitive.
- How to get away from constant rewards and threats of consequence.
- How to discipline your child in a way that is effective and fosters learning rather seeming to make the child feel ashamed and vengeful.
- How to integrate playful, reciprocal interactions that will enhance your child’s sense of well-being and self-esteem.
- How to foster a feeling of connection and joy between you and your child that will last beyond the time of the actual activity/event.