Thursday, February 2, 2012

Raising Kids With Compassion

Below is a thoughtful article from Empowered to Connecthttp://www.empoweredtoconnect.org/



 

Compassion is the Answer. What’s the Question?

by: Amy Monroe

I’ve been talking with a lot of moms lately and many of them are struggling with their kids.  I get it.  There are days I struggle too.  The issues we face vary from the small, frustrating and everyday, to the big, infuriating and out-of-control.  But no matter what the issue or challenge, the one thing I constantly remind them of, and the one thing I have to constantly remind myself of, is the need to see my kids with eyes of compassion…and to approach each and every interaction with them compassionately.

Now I know as soon as I say this, some will think I am advocating that we should “feel sorry” for our kids or that we should be permissive and let misbehavior slide because of their history or where they came from.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, could be farther from the truth.  Compassion is not pity or even sympathy, and it never means that we allow what’s less than best for our kids to become good enough.  Instead, compassion involves empathy; but true compassion is so much more than just a feeling.

We focused on this all-important subject of compassion in Chapter 2 of Created To Connect, where we talked about true compassion being essential for adoptive and foster parents to be all that God has called us to be in the lives and healing journeys of our kids......

To read the full article, click here: http://empoweredtoconnect.org/compassion-is-the-answer-whats-the-question/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EmpoweredToConnect+%28Empowered+To+Connect%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

No comments: