Tuesday, January 12, 2010

FaceBook Challenge for Half the Sky


Almost 10 years ago my husband and I adopted our first child from China. Throughout the years I've known about and supported the efforts of an organization called Half The Sky, started by a mom named Jenny Bowen. HTS has amazing programs that care for the needs of orphans in China. I'm continually amazed at how effective they are in their work, and how this organization has grown. For this reason, I'm asking all FaceBook junkies to step up to the challenge described below. For HTS to win this contest would be an amazing triumph in the lives of orphans throughout China. Please take a few moments to read the letter from Jenny Bowen and get involved. For more information on Half the Sky, visit their web site at www.halfthesky.org.




January, 2010


Dear Friends of Half the Sky,

If you haven’t heard it already, you’re about to hear some wonderful news.

Half the Sky has the great good fortune of being one in only 100 nonprofits competing for a $1 Million prize in the Facebook Chase Community Giving contest.

If we win, we will be able to do something we’ve only dreamed about. We will be able to transform the lives of ALL of China’s orphans within just a few short years.

I know it’s a long shot, but I just keep thinking of all of the people who pulled together and voted so that I could carry the Olympic Torch on behalf of China’s orphans.

And I think of all the people who pitched in to help Half the Sky provide relief and comfort to thousands of children whose lives were shattered by the Sichuan earthquake.

And I think of a kind supporter named Julie, who wrote to us during the holidays: “I would give you guys a million dollars if I had it. You are awesome and make such a difference to so many children. Thanks for all you do.”

And I’ve just got to believe that we might have a chance.

We need your help.

If you have a Facebook account, we need you to vote for our “Big Idea” January 15-22.

If you don’t have a Facebook account, we need you to start one – if only for a day or two.

Watch and forward our video and our Big Idea

Post our video and stories about Half the Sky on Facebook walls

Tweet the news

Become a fan of Chase Community Giving and

Vote January 15 – 22

When the vote starts on Friday, you’ll be hearing from me daily. It’s only a week.

And what a difference we can make if we win. Please tell your friends and your family and your co-workers and everybody you know who thinks all children deserve a chance. Tell the world.

A vote for Half the Sky is a vote for every forgotten child.

We can do it!!

with love and gratitude,

Jenny

No comments: