Tuesday, May 4, 2010

We're Back....from the Christian Alliance for Orphans Summit

Brooke & Dina

Wow....What a wonderful time we had at the Summit. If I had to sum it up in a few words, I'd use the words Inspiring, Affirming and Overwhelming.

I am inspired by the ways I learned that God is moving through His church to care for orphans. I heard story after story, each one more powerful than the next, about how God is caring for His children through willing servants like you and me.

Hearing these stories, meeting so many like-minded people with the same passion, and spending time in worship has really affirmed me in my call to provide compassion and justice to orphaned & vulnerable children.

I was also reminded of the overwhelming need there is in the world to care for the fatherless. But I also know that God only calls me to take one step at a time, and to perservere as I fight to be a voice for His children.

The breakout sessions were numerous and diverse. Here's what I learned.....

Session 1: I was reminded of God's redemptive story of adoption, and it motivated me to keep the Gospel at the center of my ministry.

Session 2: I learned about a family that started a ministry to advocate for and encourage adoptions for children with HIV/AIDS and other special needs.

Session 3: I learned about a wonderful ministry called 4 Kids of South Florida, that serves foster kids who age out of the system.

Session 4: I discovered ideas to build an effective foster care ministry.

Session 5: I learned new ideas to build an effective adoption ministry.

Session 6: I learned about models, curriculum and practical advice for nurturing a heart of compassion for orphans in children & youth.




We also had wonderful keynote speakers including Steven & Mary Beth Chapman, John Piper, Al Mohler, Tom Davis and others, and we were led in worship by Steven Curtis Chapman & Peder Eide. There were also resources available at the many booths with representatives from ministries from around the country.


Thanks to everyone who prayed for this conference. The Lord definately made His presence known and I believe that God was honored.




For more information about the work of the Christian Alliance for Orphans, please visit http://www.christianalliancefororphans.org/.

No comments: