Monday, November 22, 2010

Volunteer Appreciation Christmas Dinner




The Willow Creek North Shore Safe Families community invites all Safe Families volunteers in the Chicagoland area to a Volunteer Appreciation Christmas Dinner. If you have hosted children in your home, if you have supported those who do, or if you are eager for your first placement, we invite you to join us for an evening of celebration and appreciation.

In addition to dinner, part of the festivities will be a keynote address from Arloa Sutter, the Executive Director of Breakthrough Urban Ministries in Chicago. Arloa is an amazing woman who founded a homeless shelter almost 20 years ago that has blossomed into a center that serves all members of its neighborhood. To give you a taste of what you she will share, here is something Arloa recently posted to her blog:

"I had entered ministry recognizing my need for a Savior, but then had begun to attempt to rescue and save others in my own strength on behalf of the Savior. The burnout I experienced as a result would forever change me as I learned the importance of waiting on God in contemplation before rushing in with my own agenda. I learned to be led by the Spirit instead of being driven by need.

Today I start each day in prayer. I ask God to orchestrate my day, to guide and direct me. . . .
I also listen to my body. I have learned to recognize the difference between good stress that pushes me to my best, and bad stress that means I'm attempting to do something that is not mine to do. When my shoulders tense and my stomach knots, I do a 'gut check' and ask myself if this really is my responsibility.

To be led by the Spirit rather than driven by need. That's my goal. When the chaos mounts, I take a break."

Her personal experience in doing a ministry that is very similar to Safe Families will offer useful spiritual and practical guidance for us as we look forward to another year of doing the hard work of caring for families in crisis.

The dinner will take place on Sunday, December 12 at 6:00. The location is 315 Waukegan Rd. in Northfield, IL.


R.S.V.P. are a must. R.S.V.P. to Rebecca Cynamon-Murphy at rcynamon-murphy@lydiahome.org. Please tell her the number of people who will be attending, as well as if you need child care. If child care is requested, provide the number of children and their ages.


There is no charge for the event (we want to thank you properly) but space is somewhat limited.

We really hope you can join us for this fun evening of celebration and appreciation!

No comments: