Thursday, May 31, 2018

Important Announcement!

Retiring and new members of the AFS Leadership Team: Rich Denman, Abby Deatherage, Joyce Moffitt, Sarah McHugh, Teri Altpeter, Sara Brunsting, Dina Ackermann, Anne Contant

It was in June, 2008 when I felt the call of God to start a ministry for adoption, foster care & Safe Families (AFS) at Willow Creek.   My area pastor put out an email inviting interested people to come to a meeting at my house. I didn’t know what to expect, but 10 very fired-up people showed up and we began brainstorming about how we could support the adoption, foster care, and Safe Families communities.  Next month it will be 10 years since that first meeting, and what an adventure it has been!

Last fall I sensed that God was leading this ministry into a new era, and early this year I made the decision to step down from the ministry at the end of May.  At the same time, God had been speaking to the hearts of some of the others on our leadership team, and several of them believed that God was prompting them to step aside as well. We all believe that God is on the move and is planning to take this ministry to the next level! We have spent the last few months as a team, planning and transitioning new leaders to carry on this much needed ministry.  Your prayers are appreciated as we are still looking for someone that can lead the foster care team, and others to join the adoption and Safe Families teams. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Abby Deatherage at afs@willowcreek.org.

It has been a joy to walk together with so many of you on your adoption, foster care, and/or Safe Families journeys and to build this ministry at Willow Creek.  It has also been an honor to have been able to lead the most amazing leadership team I’ve ever been a part of. Their commitment to serving children, families, and to this ministry has truly been a gift from God.  I have also had the privilege of partnering with so many of you from organizations that serve the adoption, foster care and Safe Families communities.  I have learned so much from you and am continually inspired by the passionate work that you do.

I may have the opportunity to contribute to this blog from time to time, but for the most part, it will be updated by folks from the Adoption, Foster Care and Safe Families teams.





Thank you for trusting me and this ministry for the past decade. I’m excited to see what God will do next! I wish you all of God’s blessings as you continue your journey.

Dina Ackermann

No comments: